Statement of Purpose
NOW’s purpose is to take action to bring women into full participation in the mainstream of American society now, exercising all privileges and responsibilities thereof in truly equal partnership with men. This purpose includes, but is not limited to, equal rights and responsibilities in all aspects of citizenship, public service, employment, education, and family life, and it includes freedom from discrimination because of race, ethnic origin, age, marital status, sexual preference/orientation, or parenthood.
Health Care – WA State NOW believes in equal access to quality affordable and accessible health care services for women and children.
Reproductive Rights – WA State NOW supports access for all women to the full range of reproductive services. WA State NOW will defend a woman’s right to choose, opposing any attempts to weaken the current law as passed by Initiative 120.
Equal Protection Under the Law – WA State NOW supports efforts to end violence against women and their families, including sexual assault and domestic violence. WA State NOW supports equal protection for all regardless of their sexual orientation or the size of business that they work for.
Economic Equity – WA State NOW supports economic equity for all women, including but not limited to, access to affordable, quality childcare; paid family leave, equal pay for equal work, and a reasonable safety net for those who need it.
2010 Legislative Agenda
Economic and Social Justice
- We support legislation that bans the use of credit history, education and income for auto and property insurance rate setting. HB 2513 and SB 6252.
- We support legislation that benefits vulnerable populations by reforming public assistance and expanding access to public benefits, education and training.
- We support legislation that prohibits the use of shackling or restraints on pregnant women or pregnant youth who are incarcerated.
- We are prepared to support legislation to implement federal health care reform provided it does not restrict access to reproductive services including abortion.
Lesbian and Gay Rights
- We support legislation clarifying and expanding the rights and obligations of state registered domestic partners and other couples related to parentage.
- We support legislation that expedites conferring domestic partnership status on same sex couples married in other states.
We support legislation that would require limited service pregnancy centers to provide truthful information about their services, ensure that any reproductive information provided is medically accurate, and maintain the privacy of and respect a person’s right to his or her health care information. ”Limited service pregnancy center” means an organization that advertises, offers, or provides pregnancy tests or ultrasounds, and information about adoption or abortion, whether for a fee or as a free service, but does not provide any of the following: Prenatal medical care, comprehensive birth control services, abortion or referrals for abortion.
Violence Against Women
We support legislation that prescribes penalties for failure to properly notify foreign workers of their rights while working in the United States. In addition, we support legislation that permits foreign workers to sue their employer.
- NOW supports revenue options that will prevent the loss of services to vulnerable populations and that will fund progressive legislation currently in effect.
- NOW supports funding for family planning services for low income women which has been severely cut in the previous budget.